Anamudi Peak Munnar Entry Fee
- No entry fee
Anamudi Peak Munnar Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 13 reviews
Anamudi Peak Munnar Address: Kannan Devan Hills , Kerala, 685561, India
Nestled among the Nilgiri mountain range, Anamudi Peak is the highest peak in southern India. It is about 2,695 m (8,842 ft) high, and it’s a popular spot for trekking in Munnar.
Anamudi Peak is located in the Eravikulam National Park, and you will find different species of animals like Asian elephants, Gaurs and Nilgiri Tahrs. The peak offers a breathtaking view of the valley and hills around. You can see the tea plantations, spice plantations and the wildlife in the area.
The area is covered with evergreen forests of bamboos and teak trees, and as you walk down the path, you will also see the rivers flowing through the valley.
Apart from trekking and hiking expeditions, local people also go for a picnic in the adjoining areas, and it attracts many photographers too.
Things to do in Anamudi Peak Munnar
1. Trekking to the peak – The 2 hours' trek to Anamudi Peak from Eravikulam National Park is a memorable experience for the thrill-seekers. You’ll also find camping sites in the area if you want to enjoy the views of the peak during the early hours of the morning or late evening.
2. Enjoying the safari – It takes a short bus ride from the national park entrance to reach the viewpoint of Anamudi Peak. And during the ride, you can enjoy watching the beautiful forest cover. Eravikulam National Park is home to many animals, birds, and amphibians. And Nilgiri Tahr, the wild mountain goat, is the main attraction. If you’re lucky, you will also come across Neelakurinji flowers, which cover the slopes once in 12 years.
3. Checking out the plantations – On the way to Anamudi Peak, you’ll come across tea and spice plantations along the slopes, spread like a green carpet. You can stop, check the plants, and know more about them from the farmers.
4. Planning a picnic on the greens – The area surrounding the peak is a preferred picnic spot among the local people. So, if you aren’t interested in climbing Anamudi Peak or exploring the wildlife, you can settle on the green meadows and have a fun time with your friends and family.
5. Clicking photographs – Anamudi Peak and the surrounding scenic views of the national park delight many nature photographers. And you shouldn’t miss capturing those green mountain slopes, evergreen forests and the native flora and fauna of the area.
Anamudi Peak Entry Fee and Timings
Anamudi Peak is present within the Eravikulam National Park, and it is open throughout the week. And you can go there anytime during the day if you want to trek up to the peak. But if you want a relaxed tour, take the minibus safari to the viewpoint of Anamudi Peak. It is available from 8.30 AM to 4 PM.
Anamudi Peak entry is free, but you will need to pay for your entry to the park. It is ₹95 for kids, and ₹125 for adults. Foreign tourists, on the other hand, have to pay ₹420 for entry. Apart from that, you don’t have to pay any extra fee to visit Anamudi Peak.
Best Time to visit Anamudi Peak
It is best to visit Anamudi Peak in winter or spring when the temperature is cool. And that ideal time is from November to May. The breeze can get chilling at times, but it feels soothing while you’re trekking your way up to the peak. Also, during spring, blooming flowers and shrubs cover the mountain slopes, thus increasing the beauty of the valley.
You should avoid visiting Anamudi Peak during monsoon, as the trekking trail gets slippery.
Time to explore Anamudi Mountain Peak
You can go for a picnic, or take the safari bus to the viewpoint of Anamudi Peak. You can then explore the area, click photographs or walk your way up towards the peak. And you can comfortably spend about 2-3 hours at Anamudi.
Image Gallery of Anamudi Peak Munnar
Things to keep in mind while visiting Anamudi Peak
- Get permission from the Forest Department to trek to the top of Anamudi Peak.
- Put on comfortable walking shoes during your visit.
- Wear light cotton clothes.
- Carry sunglasses and caps.
- Pack light snacks and water bottles.
Interesting facts about Anamudi Peak Munnar
- Anamudi Peak is the highest peak in southern India.
- The peak resembles the elephant’s forehead and thus, it’s named Anamudi.
- General Douglas Hamilton was the first person to climb the peak, in 1862.
- Neelakurinji flowers bloom once in 12 years and cover the mountain.
- Raorchestes Resplendens, a rare species of frog, are found in the area.
Places to visit near Anamudi Peak Munnar
1. Eravikulam National Park – Anamudi Peak is present within Eravikulam National Park, which is the home to endangered Nilgiri Tahr. This national park has many streams and pools, which help in the survival of a diverse range of animals, birds, and amphibians. It is a rolling plateau spread over an area of 92 square kilometres and is covered with high altitude grasslands, shrublands and Shola forests. Many river tributaries also flow through Eravikulam National Park.
2. Lakkam Waterfalls – Lakkam Waterfalls originates from the plateau of Eravikulam National Park and rolls down to join River Pambar, which then flows into River Cauvery. You can watch its crystal-clear water falling down the boulders nearby, which then collects into a pool, about 11 km from Anamudi Peak. Lakkam Waterfalls is surrounded by trees and it is a popular spot for hiking and photography.
3. Nyayamkadu Waterfalls – Nyayamkadu Waterfalls, or Nayamakad Waterfalls, is a breathtaking waterfall, about 8 km away from Anamudi Peak. The water cascades down the rocks from a height of over 1500 m, into a pool. The place is surrounded by forest and it is a paradise for adventure lovers. You can trek your way to the falls or climb the rocks to reach the top. And people also come here to spend time with family.
4. Kannan Devan Tea Museum – This Tea Museum of Munnar is located at KDHP’s Nullatanni Estate, and it tells about the history of tea cultivation in the area. It is about 17 km from Anamudi Peak. You’ll get to know how tea was processed in the earlier days and how the production is automated today. You can also see the old rollers, wheels, and tea processing machines in the museum.
5. Kolukkumalai Tea Estate – A few kilometres from Kannan Devan Tea Museum, Kolukkumalai Tea Estate is the highest tea estate in the world. It produces flavourful tea and offers a panoramic view of Munnar and the mountains around. The factory at the premises uses the traditional techniques of tea making, and you can witness it there.
6. Mattupetty Dam – Mattupetty Dam and Lake is a popular tourist spot in Munnar. The dam was built for power generation and water conservation, but the surrounding green valley attracts local people and tourists too. Mattupetty Lake serves as an important water source for birds and animals, and you can spot elephants at its banks. The tourism department also organises boating at the lake. It is 26 km away from Anamudi Peak.
7. Echo Point – Echo Point is at the confluence of three mountains, about 7 km ahead of Mattupetty Dam. It is situated by a lake surrounded by trees and the mountains. At this tourist spot, you can go boating, walk around the lake, or sit at the banks, watching the birds. Apart from the captivating views, Echo Point is known for echoing the sounds. You can also witness the rare Neelakurinji flowers on the nearby slopes.
8. CSI Christ Church – CSI Christ Church is a 100-year-old church from the British era. The church has been maintained well, and people love it for the tranquillity it offers. Apart from its religious significance, CSI Christ Church is also known for its architectural beauty. It is built with granite in gothic style and is decorated with beautiful stained-glass work and brass plaques. It is about 17 km away from Anamudi Peak.
9. Pothamedu Viewpoint – About 3 km further from CSI Christ Church, Pothamedu Viewpoint is a must-visit spot for adventure seekers, nature lovers, and hikers. It offers a panoramic view of Munnar and the adjoining valleys, and you can capture some breathtaking pictures of the forest cover. Apart from the dense forests, it also provides a magnificent view of the slopes covered with tea, coffee, and cardamom plantations.
10. Punarjani Traditional Village – This place was set up by a group of artists from Munnar to preserve the cultural heritage of the region. It hosts two one-hour shows every day, in the evening, one each for Kathakali and Kalaripayattu. Kathakali is a classical dance-drama and Kalarippayattu is a traditional martial art form. You can also watch the artists patiently getting their facial makeup and preparing for their performance. Punarjani Traditional Village is about 24 km from Anamudi Peak.
How to reach Anamudi Peak from Munnar?
Anamudi Peak is within the premises of Eravikulam National Park, which is about 10 km away from Munnar. You can take a bus or book a private cab from top car rental companies in Kerala to take you through the winding route among the mountains.
Once you reach the national park entrance, you can walk your way towards the peak or hop on the guided minibus tour to the Anamudi Peak viewpoint. The overall Munnar to Anamudi Peak distance is around 15 km.
And following are the different ways to reach Munnar –
By Road – Munnar is best travelled by road. Driving through the curves and twists of breathtaking Nilgiri Hills will be an experience you won’t forget. You can either hire a cab or get on a bus going to Munnar. Regular buses are available from nearby towns like Coimbatore (150 km), Kochi (120 km), and Madurai (170 km) among others. Anamudi Peak is about 17 km away from Munnar bus stop.
By Rail – Aluva is the nearest railway station to Munnar and Anamudi Peak. It is about 120 km away. Regular trains are available from the metropolitan cities and other nearby towns. Among the other stations, which have better nation-wide railway connectivity, are Coimbatore (150 km), Ernakulam (120 km), and Madurai (170 km). From there, you can take a bus or cab to reach Munnar.
By Air – The nearest airport to Anamudi Peak Munnar is Cochin International Airport. It is about 120 km away and has frequent flights from major Indian airports and south-east Asian countries and the Middle East. Buses and cabs are available to get into Munnar. You can also take a flight to Coimbatore or Madurai airport for your Munnar trip.
The breathtaking beauty of Kerala can be best witnessed by booking a Kerala Tour package with us. We at Kerala Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA offer these packages at cost effective prices and include a visit to all the popular sightseeing places of Kerala. For more information on various packages and existing deals, please fill the Contact Us form.