Kundala Dam Lake Munnar Entry Fee
- 100 for Pedal Boat for 3 persons
- 150 for Row Boat for 4 persons
- 200 for Shikara Boat for 2 persons
- 200 for Video Camera
Kundala Dam Lake Munnar Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 12 reviews
Kundala Dam Lake Munnar Address: Mattupatti Dam to Top Station Rd, Kundala, Kerala, 685615, India
About 20 km from Munnar, Kundala Dam is a picturesque tourist spot. The dam is built on River Periyar, and it is surrounded by the green Western Ghats mountain range. The area also has Cherry Blossom trees, which flower twice a year, adding to the beauty of the place. And if you’re lucky, you can even witness the vivid purple cover of Neela Kurunji flowers on the hills. Those flowers bloom only once in 12 years.
The adjacent Kundala Lake also offers an unforgettable experience to tourists. You can get on a pedal boat or a rowboat to explore the lake and enjoy the views. Kashmiri shikara boats, too, are available for rent at Kundala Dam Lake Munnar.
Things to do at Kundala Dam and Lake
1. Enjoying the views – Kundala Dam Lake has plenty of green area and shade where you can sit and enjoy the views of the nearby hills. You can watch the boats floating in the lake or just enjoy the cool breeze filled with the aroma of tea plantations.
2. Boating in the lake – Kundala Lake Munnar is known for its boating facilities. Green hills and tea plantations in the backdrop accompany you during the experience. Here, you can rent pedal boats, row boats or shikaras.
3. Riding a horse – On the banks of the lake, you’ll also find many horses. Pay the owner and hop on one for a ride around Kundala Dam and Lake. On some days, you can even ride elephants or find other small activities like balloon shooting.
4. Having tea and snacks – Local people also set up tea stalls and other snack corners near Kundala Lake. You can sip a freshly made cup of masala tea or drink tender coconut water there. Dosa, noodles and sandwich stalls are also there.
5. Capturing memorable photos – The dam standing tall, colourful boats on the lake and dense forests around make this tourist spot an ideal place for photographers. The distant cover of tea plantations also adds to the charm. And you might also get to capture the rare Neela Kurunji flowers blooming on the nearby slopes.
Kundala Dam Lake Entry Fee and Timings
Entry to Kundala Dam Munnar is free for everyone. You can walk along the lake, take photos or enjoy a picnic with your family or friends.
But Kundala Dam boating is chargeable. A ride on a 3-person pedal boat costs ₹100. And to ride a 4-person row boat, you’ve to shell out ₹150. Then, the shikara ride costs you ₹200 for 2 people. Each boat ride is around 30 minutes long.
Kundala Dam Lake timings for entry are from 9 AM to 5 PM. But boating ends by 4.30 PM.
Image Gallery of Kundala Dam Lake Munnar
Best Time to visit Kundala Dam Lake
Although Munnar is a hill station, the summer heat becomes unbearable at times. Therefore, the best time to visit the lake is during winter or spring, between November and May. The weather remains pleasant throughout the day during those months.
Also, it would be best to visit it early in the morning, so you can enjoy your trip in peace. You can spend around 1-2 hours in this tourist spot.
How to reach Kundala Dam Munnar Kerala?
Munnar to Kundala Lake distance is about 20 km. And to reach Kundala Dam Lake, you can take a bus or book a private cab from top car rental companies in Kerala.
Now, following are the various ways to reach Munnar –
By Road – Munnar is connected to all parts of the country by road. You can hire a cab for Munnar. And regular buses from nearby towns are also available. The lake is about 20 km away from Munnar bus stop.
By Rail – Aluva is the nearest railway station to Munnar. It is about 120 km away, and it has trains from many cities around. Coimbatore (150 km), Ernakulam (120 km), and Madurai (170 km) are the other major railway stations, from where you can take a bus or cab to reach Munnar.
By Air – The nearest airport to Kundala Lake in Munnar is Cochin International Airport. It is 120 km away and has frequent flights from various Indian and international destinations. Coimbatore and Madurai airports are also nearby.
Kerala is a famous tourist destination with umpteen number of sightseeing places to explore catering to a variety of holiday seekers. To plan your holiday according to your liking, we at Kerala Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA have designed Kerala Tour packages. Choose the package that suits you best and cover all the famous places to visit in Kerala comfortably with the help of a chauffeur driven private cab. To know more about our packages, please fill the Contact Us form and we will get back to you.