Chembra Peak Wayanad Entry Fee
- 20 per person for Indians
- 30 per person for Foreign Nationals
- 750 Trekking Charges for Indians (For a group of 10 people)*
- 1500 Trekking Charges for Foreigners (For a group of 5 people)^
- 40 Camera fee for Indians
- 80 Camera fee for Foreigners
- 10 Parking fee for 2 wheelers
- 25 Parking fee for 4 wheelers
* ₹75 is charged for each extra person
^ ₹300 is charged for each extra person
Chembra Peak Wayanad Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 21 reviews
Chembra Peak Wayanad Address: Chembra, Wayanad, Kerala, 673586, India
Surrounded by hills, tea plantations and lush green valley, Chembra Peak is the highest mountain peak in Wayanad. It is 2100 m above sea level.
The place is protected by the forest department, and it has maintained its originality over the years. It is the ideal tourist spot if you're looking for a serene nature walk. Chembra Peak is a picturesque location from where you can get breathtaking views of the exotic flora and fauna of the region.
The forest department organises the Chembra Peak trek, which takes you through evergreen forests, waterfalls and lush greenery to a heart-shaped lake. The lake is bound to capture your heart at first sight.
As per the beliefs, Goddess Sita took bath in the Chembra Peak lake. It is also said this lake has never dried.
Walking through the tea plantations, towards the mist-covered views, you’ll have one of the most amazing experiences during trekking. On an overcast day, you’ll find yourself walking among the clouds.
Chembra Peak is perfect for a weekend trip with family or a trekking expedition with your friends. Get permission from the forest office, take a deep breath and start walking.
Things to do at Chembra Peak
1. Enjoying the panoramic views – About 1 km from the ticket counter, you'll come across the watchtower. You can climb to the top and enjoy the unadulterated views of the valley and the city. On a clear day, you might also see the peak. You can take your car up to the watchtower or walk the distance. It is the starting point for the trek.
2. Clicking photographs – For photographers, the place is heaven. You are surrounded with majestic views right from the beginning of your Chembra Peak drive. You’ll come across green tea plantations and spice plantations along the road. And as you trek your way up towards the peak, you’ll witness the lush green cover all around. The trek ends at the beautiful heart-shaped lake, which is also popular as the Cupid Lake. Savour the moments with your camera.
3. Trekking up to the Chembra Peak Heart Lake – The Vana Samrakshana Samithi (VSS), a part of the forest department, organises day trekking to the lake. The management is under the control of the District Tourism Promotion Council (DTPC) of Wayanad. It provides guides to accompany you during the trek.
Chembra Peak Trekking Details
People begin trekking from the ticket counter itself. But the starting point for the trek is at the watchtower, about 1 km away. And you can drive your vehicle to the parking spot near that tower. Jeeps are also available from the ticket counter to take you to the Chembra Peak trek starting point.
You will need permission from the forest department to begin your trek. And only 200 people are given Chembra Peak permission per day, on a first-come-first-serve basis. You can get yours on the spot from the ticket counter. The tickets also include the charges for a guide. Although you don't need a guide for the trek, having one will enhance the experience. The guides have interesting stories related to Chembra Peak, the city and the surrounding area.
From the watchtower, the trek to the heart-shaped Chembra Peak pond begins, the one-way distance of which is about 2 km. The pond, known as hridhayathadakam in the local language, is set among green meadows, alongside gorgeous panoramic views of the valley.
The trekking trail is rated as moderately difficult, and it takes you through tea plantations and the forest. Afterwards, you get in the open space, with an easy to moderate difficulty trekking.
At its highest point, you will witness the top view of the lake. From there, you can walk your way down to the lake. After spending time there, you must descend to the base, i.e. the ticket counter, by evening. Overnight camping is not allowed at Chembra Peak.
Chembra Peak Wayanad trekking is the most exquisite trekking experience in all of Kerala.
The total length of the trek is around 4.5 km to the Chembra Peak. The watchtower is about a km away from the counter and the lake is 2 km uphill from there. The peak is further 1.5 km from the lake, but the guards and guides don’t allow trekking till there. So, the effective length of the trek is around 3-3.5 km.
Chembra Peak Wayanad Timings and Entry Fee
The day trekking at Chembra Peak begins at 7 AM. It is organised every day if the conditions are favourable. Chembra Peak closing time is 5 PM, but you must reach there before 2 PM. No trekking permissions are issued after that.
Chembra Peak trek booking charges are ₹750 for a group of 10 (or fewer) Indian nationals. If the group exceeds 10 people, ₹75 is charged for each extra person. The fee includes the trekking permit and the services of a trekking guide.
For foreigners, Chembra Peak ticket rate is ₹1500 for a group of 5 people. ₹300 is charged for each extra person.
Along with the trekking charges, you also have to pay ₹20 as entrance fee and ₹40 as camera fee. Those charges apply to Indian nationals. Foreign nationals need to pay ₹30 as entrance fee and ₹80 as camera fee. For students, Chembra Peak entry fee is only ₹15.
Parking charge is also applicable. It is ₹10 for 2-wheelers and ₹25 for 4-wheel vehicles.
Image Gallery of Chembra Peak Wayanad
Best time to visit Chembra Peak
You can go for a Chembra Peak trek throughout the year, except monsoons. The heavy monsoon rains make the track slippery and dangerous for a trek. You should also skip trekking in summer, as it is too humid for an enjoyable trek.
Therefore, the best season for the trek is during winter, after the monsoon. From December to February, the weather of Chembra Peak is cool, and the environment has a fresh green cover.
Also, it is best to start the trek early in the morning. You can thus enjoy your trek your way up to the peak in the cool dewy air.
Time to explore Chembra Peak Wayanad
It takes around 5-6 hours to complete Chembra Peak trek at a comfortable pace. It will take about an hour, on foot, to reach the watchtower. And from there, it is another 2-hour trek to the heart lake, through the tea plantations, forests and meadows. There, you can rest for an hour or walk around enjoying the views, before tracing your steps back.
Things to keep in mind while visiting Chembra Peak
- Only 200 people can go trekking in a day.
- Avoid the trek if you have health problems.
- Have your ID proof with you during your visit.
- Group with others to share the cost of the permit if you're fewer than 10 people.
- Be with your group always.
- Take a guide for the best experience.
- Avoid roaming away from the marked trail.
- Carry plenty of water during the trek.
- Pack some snacks, but remember not to litter.
- Wear comfortable and sturdy footwear.
- Take an umbrella/raincoat.
- Return to the base before sunset.
How to reach Chembra Peak from Wayanad?
Chembra Peak is about 35 km away from Wayanad. You can get on a bus to reach Kalpetta or Meppadi, from where you can hire a Chembra Peak jeep to the trekking point. You can also get plenty of auto rickshaws from Meppady.
However, the best way is to book a cab to Chembra Peak from top car rental companies in Kerala for a comfortable trip. And here are the different ways to reach Wayanad –
By Road – Wayanad is connected to nearby towns and cities through several roads. Regular buses from Bangalore, Kochi, Mysore and many other places are available. And you can drive your car too, through the winding mountainous roads enjoying the scenery.
By Rail – The nearest railway station to Wayanad is in Kozhikode, about 100 km away. It has trains from many cities including Delhi, Bangalore and Mumbai. And you can also get regular trains from nearby cities like Kochi, Trivandrum and others. From the railway station, you can get a bus or taxi for Wayanad.
By Air – The nearest airport is Kozhikode Calicut International Airport, about 100 km away. Flights from many domestic airports, including Delhi, Chennai and Mumbai, arrive at Kozhikode. International flights from destinations like Kuwait, Qatar and Sri Lanka are also available.
FAQs about Chembra Peak Wayanad
If you want to have an unforgettable time of your life exploring the various sightseeing places in Kerala, book an all-inclusive Kerala tour package with us. We at Kerala Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, present our clients with best deals at pocket-friendly prices. Please fill the Contact Us form to know more about our services in detail.