Chithirapuram Munnar Entry Fee
Chithirapuram Munnar Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 14 reviews
Chithirapuram Munnar Address: 10 km from Munnar, Kerala, 685565, India
While most know Chithirapuram only because of the famed Pallivasal Hydel Power Project, there is a softer aspect to this village which is often considered to be a part of Munnar itself. Home to some of Kerala’s most sprawling tea plantations, the hills of Chithirapuram also have viewpoints that provide amazing glimpses of the valleys beneath.
History Behind Chithirapuram
The quaint hill town of Chithirapuram developed alongside Munnar when the Duke of Wellington first visited this part of Kerala in 1790. Gradually, this region became an abode of the British officials and their family as British Raj expanded its reach and dominion over time.
While Chithirapuram gained independence with the rest of India in 1947, many aspects of its colonial parts remained. The remnants of the architectural styles can be seen in the bungalows and homestays that host tourists here.
Things to do in Chithirapuram
The slow-paced town of Chithirapuram offers a handful of activities for visitors to indulge in:
1. Explore tea estates to your heart’s content and chat with the caretakers or owners about the process of tea plantation, the selection of tea leaves and also handpicking leaves during the time of harvest.
2. Carry your camera along and walk through the streets of Chithirapuram to capture its character through your lens. Look for colonial lamp posts, doorways and front porches.
3. Cycle through the winding roads of the hilly terrain of this hill town.
Image Gallery of Chithirapuram Munnar
Places to Visit Near Chithirapuram
If you are in Chithirapuram for more than a couple of days, you may want to explore some of the fascinating attractions nearby:
1. Wonder Valley Adventure and Amusement Park: Just 10 minutes from the hill station, this amusement park has about 45 adventurous rides on its premises. Sporting a natural jungle theme, the park is open every day between 8:30 AM and 6:30 PM. With an entry fee of INR 1,000, one can experience the thrill of rappelling, rope cycling, jumaring, river crossing, and more.
2. Attukad Waterfalls: About 8 km from Chithirapuram, the Attukad Waterfalls are a set of cascading natural falls accessible between 10 AM and 6 PM. Pay INR 100 and opt for a guided tour of this waterfall. You can also swim in the pool where all the water collects at the bottom.
3. Pothamedu - Aanakkal View Point: Approximately 5 km away, this viewpoint is a great place to witness the lovely valleys and tea gardens from above. It is best to visit here on a clear day to get the best panoramas when the mist is less and the sun is bright.
4. Sengulam Dam: Less than 15 minutes from the hill town is the gorgeous Sengulam Reservoir and the eponymous dam which helps collect its water. Sweeping views aside, the place offers paddle boating at a rate of INR 300 for two per boat which is accessible from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
5. Karadipara View Point: At a distance of 7.5 km from Chithirapuram, there is a fenced vantage point to see all of Munnar from. The Karadipara View Point levies a charge of INR 10 per person for the magnificent sights that are on offer. Visit before 7 PM so you don’t miss the multi-hued sky during sunset.
How to Reach Chithirapuram
Chithirapuram, while a village itself, is often considered to be a part of Munnar. Being only 12 km from its popular counterpart, this hill town can be easily reached in a number of ways:
By Air: The airport closest to this hill station is the Cochin International Airport at a distance of almost a hundred kilometres. Take a cab to get you to your cottage or resort in Chithirapuram and enjoy the 3-hour long scenic drive.
By Train: There are multiple railway stations that you can book your train tickets to. Aluva is only 108 km away, while Angamali, at 109 km, is not that far either. You can also plan to arrive at the busy Ernakulam station which is 128 km from Chithirapuram.
By Bus: Munnar Bus Station is the closest major bus station for inter-city and overnight buses. Since this is about 12 km from the hill town, you will have to get on a cab to cover the remaining distance.
By Car: The mountain roads that wind through tea gardens will make you want to stop from time to time to take pictures. To travel at your own pace and with enhanced comfort, opt for a private car from top car rental companies in Kerala with a professional driver to take you up to Chithirapuram.
To help you witness the mesmerising beauty of Kerala, we at Kerala Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA offer Kerala Tour packages keeping in mind the budget and other needs of our customers. We make sure you do not miss the popular places to visit in Kerala while also exploring the hidden gems of this state. Please fill the Contact Us form to know more about our offerings.