Munnar’s relationship with British culture is evident from its architecture. But it hasn’t stopped at that. They also brought with them their religious beliefs and traditions. The CSI Christ Church is a testimony to the faith which the foreign traders passed on to this hill station in Kerala.
Built in 1910 AD, this Christian house of worship allows visitors to take photos inside the building. It is hard to resist the opportunity as the interiors are enthralling, especially with tall windows to add character.
CSI Christ Church Timings & Entry Fee
The CSI Christ Church is open on all days of the week from 9 AM until 5 PM. There is no fee to enter the church, and everyone, regardless of their religious affiliation or personal belief, is welcome here.
Interesting Facts About CSI Christ Church
Certain details about the CSI Christ Church of Munnar might fascinate you, especially if you are Christian yourself:
1. The edifice is made of stone bricks which have weathered the onslaught of time for so many years that the shapes show on the outside, even though they are covered with limestone plaster.
2. There are traces of Roman architecture at the CSI Christ Church, especially if you consider the stained glass windows, sloped roofs, the placement of religious relics at the altar and elaborate chandeliers decorating the interiors of the building.
3. There is a cemetery on the grassy surroundings of the church. Dedicated to a lady named Isabella, little is known about her as she was never directly connected to the construction or the administration of the church.
Image Gallery of CSI Christ Church Munnar
Places to Visit Near CSI Christ Church, Munnar
The CSI Church is conveniently located close to many other sightseeing spots in Munnar. You must visit a few of these while on your trip:
1. The Blossom International Park: For those travelling with kids in tow, parks and gardens are sure to make your little ones smile. The Blossom International Park is just 5 minutes from the church. With a nature trail to keep you interesting all through your walk, the park prides itself in being a favourite of birdwatchers and photographers. Toddlers can also have fun looking at different types of fish in the aquarium inside the park. For the adventure enthusiasts this sprawling garden offers ziplining also.
2. Munnar Headworks Dam: About 3.6 km from the CSI Christ Church, in the Moolakadai neighbourhood, the Munnar Headworks Dam is a splendid getaway for water babies. Positioned at the entrance of the Pallivasal Power Project, this check dam is much smaller than regular dams. You can walk atop the dam to see the view of the waters gushing beneath you. If carrying a professional DSLR with you to take shots of nature, ensure you carry a water-proof cover for it, as the winds can get your lenses wet with water.
3. KDHP Tea Museum: Almost 3 km from the church, the KDHP Tea Museum is a part of the Kannan Devan Hills Plantation. Owned by the Tata Group, the museum is also known as the Tata Tea Museum. This section of Munnar’s Nallathanni Estate is where you can discover the history of tea. Explained through photographs and short films, the museum helps one know how tea is produced using ancient equipment and some methods which haven’t changed even today. There’s a small shop inside the museum which sells tea leaves and chocolates.
How to Reach CSI Christ Church, Munnar
Located well within the city centre of Munnar, CSI Christ Church can be conveniently reached through various modes of transportation:
By Air: About 100 km away, the Cochin International Airport is the nearest airport from the church that you can take a flight to. From there, the road journey to CSI Christ Church takes less than 3 hours.
By Train: At a distance of 105 km from the CSI Christ Church, both the Aluva Railway Station and the Angamali Railway Station take roughly 3 hours to reach. If arriving by train, look for routes that have either of these railway stations as their halt.
By Bus: Just over a kilometre away, the Munnar Bus Station is where you can book your overnight or inter-state buses to. From here, you can either walk for 15 minutes or take a 3-minute cab ride to the church.
By Car: For a hassle-free vacation experience, book a cab from top car rental companies in Kerala with a local driver who knows the mountain roads well, especially in the Nilgiris of Kerala. This way, you can focus on your holiday while relaxing in the backseat.
For your convenience, we at Kerala Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, present our customers with plenty of all-inclusive Kerala tour packages. Our team of experts design customized tour packages suiting to your travel requirements, budget and the duration of your visit. In addition, we also guide our customers with the top places to visit in Kerala. Please fill the Contact Us form to know more about our offerings.