Thommankuthu Falls Munnar Entry Fee
- No entry fee
Thommankuthu Falls Munnar Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 12 reviews
Thommankuthu Falls Munnar Address: Thodupuzha, Idukki, Kerala, 685581, India
Thommankuthu Waterfalls is a lesser-known tourist destination nestled in the dense forests of Idukki district, Kerala. It is near Thodupuzha town and can be visited on a day trip from Munnar.
Thommankuthu Falls isn’t one large waterfall but a series of waterfalls cascading in seven steps spread over 12 km. It is a part of River Kannadiyaar. And every waterfall forms a pool, where you can swim.
At some places, you’ll also find facilities for boating, fishing, rock climbing and other activities.
This seven-step waterfall is one of the popular ecotourism sites of Kerala, and people come here mostly for trekking. Apart from the river winding through the thick forest, you'll also find caves and tribal settlement if you trek deep.
Even if you don’t go all the way to the last waterfall, you can get some amazing views from the viewpoints scattered around the area. Walk through the lush green forest, take a break in a hut and listen to the birds chirping around.
Things to do at Thommankuthu Falls Idukki
1. Going for a nature walk – Thommankuthu Waterfalls is a paradise for nature lovers. The roaring waterfall, calm surrounding and the dense and dark forests prove to be a perfect setup for riveting nature walks. You can also walk up to the viewing platforms to get a glimpse of the river rolling down the rocks. And when you're tired, sit in one of the rustic huts and get your breath back.
2. Boating and fishing in the pools – Thommankuthu Falls form a series of small pools where you can swim and relax. Some places also offer boating facilities, and you might even get to enjoy fishing here.
3. Trekking deep in the forests – Thommankuthu Waterfalls is one of the premier adventure spots in the area. The authorities organise trekking expeditions to cover the entire 12 km length. The trail passes by caves and weirdly shaped trees and low branches. And if you’re lucky, you can even encounter animals during the trek. Climbing a few rocks here and there is also part of the adventure.
4. Taking photographs with the group – The place also has plenty of mesmerising locations you would like to capture in your camera. The gurgling river, tree houses and the huts built among the greens are among various picturesque setups.
5. Watching birds – Nestled in the wood, this place is also home to many birds and animals. And you can hear their chirps and chatters throughout your stay.
Thommankuthu Falls Entry Fee and Timings
Thommankuthu Falls is popular among nature lovers and adventure seekers alike. This tourist destination is open throughout the year. It opens at 8 AM every day, and you can enjoy your visit for the full day. Trek around, click photographs or stay put somewhere listening to the music created by the birds. It closes by 6 PM.
Thommankuthu Waterfall's entry costs ₹10 for adults and ₹5 for kids. And the entry allows you to take part in all the activities, except trekking deep inside the forest reserve.
To trek to the last waterfall at the top and the tribal village, you'll need special permission from the forest department. A guard too will be allotted to be with you and guide you during the trek.
Image Gallery of Thommankuthu Falls Munnar
Best Time to visit Thommankuthu Falls Munnar
These waterfalls are at their best during the monsoon. However, the rainy season isn’t the best time for a trek. Plan your visit after the monsoon or during winter. The time from September to February is the best to enjoy a pleasant drive to Thommankuthu Falls Munnar and trek as long as you want. Leave early for the trip and spend a day out among the woods.
If muddy trails and frequent rains don’t bother you, you can come here in the monsoons too. The river, as well as the environment, is lively.
Time to explore Thommankuthu Falls
A trip to Thommankuthu Falls Idukki from Munnar will take you a full day. You'll need around 2-3 hours, one way, to reach this tourist spot. And here, you can spend 2-3 hours exploring the area, watching the birds and getting the much-needed relaxation away from the city.
Things to keep in mind while visiting Thommankuthu Falls
- Wear comfortable and sturdy shoes.
- Take your hat and sunglasses.
- Have sunscreen lotions/creams.
- Carry an umbrella.
- Follow the instructions of your guide.
How to reach Thommankuthu Falls?
Thommankuthu Falls is in Thodupuzha, Idukki, about 60 km away from Munnar. And you can take a bus or taxi to be here. However, booking a cab from top car rental companies in Kerala is the most convenient option to visit this place. Enjoy a thrilling drive through the winding roads in the mountains, have a fun day with your group, and get back to your hotel once you're done.
Following are the various ways to reach Munnar –
By Road – Regular buses to Munnar are available from the neighbouring cities and towns. You can also hire a cab for your trip to Munnar and other places in the town, including these waterfalls. Munnar bus stop is about 60 km away from the waterfalls.
By Rail – Aluva is the nearest railway station. It is about 120 km away from Munnar and about 65 km from Thommankuthu Falls in Thodupuzha. From the railway station, you can hire a cab. Ernakulam is another major railway station nearby. It is 120 km from Munnar and about 75 km from the waterfalls.
By Air – Cochin International Airport is the nearest airport. It is about 120 km away from Munnar and 65 km from the waterfall. And it has flights from many places in India and abroad.
Kerala Tourism from Holidays DNA offers an endless list of packages including honeymoon packages, family packages, adventure packages, business packages, group packages, etc. With our Kerala Tour packages, you will have an opportunity to look beyond the typical Kerala sightseeing options. You can plan an offbeat trip to the place or visit the popular sightseeing places of Kerala, as per your liking. Please fill the Contact Us from and our representative will get back to you to plan your holiday as per your needs.