Top Station View Point Munnar is surrounded by green valleys, and it is visited by tourists as well as adventure lovers. It is a heaven for campers, hikers, and trekkers.
You might feel like being among the clouds here. And on a clear day, you can get a bird's-eye view of the valley and admire the beauty of Munnar.
A trip to Top Station also allows you to visit Palani Hills Wildlife Sanctuary and explore its wildlife. Kurinjimala Sanctuary, known for the rare Neelakurinji flowers, too, is en route. Amazing tea plantations, gorgeous waterfalls and a winding trip among the mountains are the few other reasons which make Top Station a place worth visiting.
You must definitely not miss it during your visit to Munnar.
History of Munnar Top Station
The place is known as Top Station as it used to be the highest railway station in the valley. Traders used the delivery system to transport tea to the plains.
It was the uppermost station of the Kottagudi Aerial Ropeway. Tea from Kannan Devan Hill Tea Plantation was transported 5 km downhill from Top Station to Kurangani in Tamil Nadu. From there, it was further distributed to all over the country and then England.
Top Station in Munnar also acted as the terminal railway station in Kundala Valley Railway built in 1902. A flood destroyed the setup in 1924, and only a few remains of that transportation system are visible now.
Things to do at Top Station Munnar
1. Trekking – Top Station Munnar trek enables you to walk through the dense woods and grasslands in the area. There is a gentle trekking trail which offers a scenic view of the valley, tea plantations and the wildlife in the surrounding hills.
2. Mountain-biking – Top Station is a preferred spot for adventure lovers. This tourist destination and the serene stretch from Munnar are popular among hikers and bikers alike. So, rent a bike and whiz past the green tea estates and dense hilly forests of the region.
3. Camping – If you want to catch a sight of the clouds hovering over the nearby tea gardens early morning, you can book a stay near Top Station Munnar. Or you can borrow tents for overnight camping at Top Station. Light some bonfire, sing songs and prepare yourself for the early morning hues of the sky.
4. Photography – Apart from the adventure activities, the viewpoint also provides you with opportunities to capture some beautiful landscape in your lens. You can get candid shots of the town below, and the valley around. Crystal clear waterfalls, the unending hill ranges of Western Ghats, and the slopes covered with flowers are all waiting for you.
5. Snacking – You will find plenty of food stalls at Top Station. Spicy carrots, hot Maggi noodles, and roasted corn cobs are some delicacies you can check during your visit. And while you’re there, don’t forget to sip a cup of hot aromatic masala tea.
Image Gallery of Top Station Munnar
Top Station Munnar Entry Fee and Timings
Entry to Top Station is free for everyone. And you can go there any time during the year. It is open throughout the day, from 6 AM to 6 PM. So, you can drool at the misty views, roll your bike down the slopes, or sit along the edge sipping tea from a glass.
You can also enjoy overnight camping at Top Station Munnar.
Best Time to visit Top Station
Although weather in Top Station Munnar is pleasant throughout the year, it is recommended you visit it during the winter months, between November and February. The weather remains comfortable enough for all the walking and fun awaiting you at Top Station.
You can also visit it during March-April when spring is in its full bloom. However, avoid a visit during the rainy season. The slippery roads and trails can spoil all the excitement.
Time to explore Top Station Munnar
You can spend around 1-2 hours at Munnar Top Station View Point. You can enjoy the views, click photographs and explore the food stalls in the area. You will have to stay longer if you plan to go for trekking or mountain biking. And if you want to watch the morning views of the valley, set your tent, and spend a night at Top Station.
Places to visit near Top Station Munnar
1. Kundala Dam Lake – Also known as Kundale Lake, this place is 9 km away from Top Station. It is a serene lake where you can go boating and enjoy mesmerising views of the hills. Pedal boats, Kashmiri shikaras, and rowboats are available for you. The slopes around are covered with tea and spice plantations, and Cherry Blossom trees.
2. Echo Point – Echo Point is another scenic tourist spot situated by a lake. The place is known to echo your voice. It is at the confluence of three mountains, surrounded by dense forests and plantations. And apart from the enchanting views, you can go boating or trekking around in the area. It is 17 km away from Top Station.
3. Mattupetty Dam – Mattupetty Dam and Lake, about 23 km away, was built for power generation and water conservation. But today, it also serves as a tourist destination and a boating spot, surrounded by green valleys. Many birds and animals also come to the lake to drink water from it.
4. Kannan Devan Tea Museum – The Tea Museum tells you about the history of tea processing in and around Munnar. The old rollers, wheels, and tea processing machines are kept in the museum for you to see. Apart from knowing how tea was processed in the earlier days, you can also witness the automated process of modern times. The museum is 35 km away.
5. Punarjani Traditional Village – At Punarjani Traditional Village, you can enjoy cultural shows. It hosts two programmes – Kathakali and Kalarippayattu, in the evening. While Kathakali is a classical dance-drama of Kerala, Kalarippayattu is a traditional martial art form. The place is about 42 km away from Top Station.
How to Reach Top Station Munnar Kerala?
Top Station is located on the Munnar-Kodaikanal highway. You can take a bus or hire a cab from top car rental companies in Kerala to reach the place. You can even take your bike and enjoy an adventurous ride among the hills. Top Station to Munnar distance is about 35 km.
And following are the different ways to reach Munnar –
By Road – Moving along the winding roads is the best way to reach Munnar and explore its unspoilt beauty. You won’t ever forget the breathtaking experience. Munnar bus stop is about 35 km from Top Station. And regular buses are available from Coimbatore (150 km), Kochi (120 km), Madurai (170 km) and other towns nearby. Cabs are also there for a comfortable ride to Munnar and around.
By Rail – Aluva is the nearest railway station. It is about 120 km away from Munnar and provides regular railway connectivity with the nearby towns and cities. Coimbatore (150 km), Ernakulam (120 km), and Madurai (170 km) are the other railway stations around Munnar with nation-wide connectivity.
By Air – The nearest international airport is at Kochi, about 120 km away. It has daily flights from many airports of India and the neighbouring countries. Coimbatore and Madurai airports are also near Munnar. From the airport, you can take a cab for Top Station Munnar and other tourist spots.
Kerala Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA offers exciting Kerala Tour packages for families, couples, friends and solo travellers. With these personalised packages you can visit all the popular places to visit in Kerala in the comfort of a private cab. You can also ask for customisation of these packages according to your liking. So, what are you waiting for? Please fill the Contact Us form and we will get back to you.