Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary Trivandrum Entry Fee
- 250 per person for Adults
- 125 per person for Children (5 to 12 years)
- 5 per person for Children (Below 5 years)
- 300 per person for Foreign Tourists
Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary Trivandrum Phone
Rating: | 4/5 stars
Based on total 14 reviews
Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary Trivandrum Address: Mayam, Vazhichal, Kerala, 695551, India
Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary in Thiruvananthapuram is a thrilling place to enjoy lion safari by the Western Ghats. It houses a crocodile farm, a rehabilitation centre for elephants and an array of wildlife species along with lions and deers.
The sanctuary is also home to several medicinal herbs, thick plantations and meadows presenting an enchanting sight. Even the ride to Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary is a treat for the nature lovers.
Apart from the varied flora and fauna, the sanctuary has numerous trekking trails. And one such route takes you to the 1868 m high Agasthyamalai Peak. Trekking enthusiasts, as well as other local people, come here to enjoy the views and spend time with friends and family.
Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary Trivandrum is the drainage basin of the Neyyar River. The boating facilities at the Neyyar Dam Lake attract locals and tourists alike. You can also climb up the watchtower to get a beautiful panoramic view of the area and spot animals from above.
Go for a guided tour to know more about this vibrant wildlife sanctuary.
Things to do in Neyyar Dam and Wildlife Sanctuary
1. Enjoying the bus safari – The 2-hour Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary safari includes a ride to an island in a boat, and then a drive inside the sanctuary in a forest department vehicle. During the tour, you’ll come across the wildlife of the forest.
The sanctuary has a substantial natural vegetation cover, which supports diverse wildlife including birds, mammals and reptiles. Tigers, elephants and lion-tailed macaques are among the common sightings. Leopards, Sambar deers and Nilgiri tahrs can also be found roaming in the wild. The safari takes you to the lion park, elephant rehabilitation centre and crocodile farm among other places.
During the safari, you’ll also trek through the forests and find other animals like leopard cats, flying squirrels and hares.
2. Exploring the lion park – The bus trip to the Lion Safari Park lets you in the natural habitat of the lions. You can find them roaming around or lazing under a tree watching your activities.
3. Visiting elephant rehabilitation centre – The Elephant Rehabilitation Centre within the sanctuary is home to several elephants. It takes care of elephants, and you can play with the elephant calves too. Along with that, you get to enjoy elephant riding and elephant feeding at the rehabilitation centre. Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary has a deer rehabilitation centre too.
4. Checking crocodile farm – The crocodile farm at the sanctuary is another major point of tourist interest. This farm is home to several crocodiles. It is also a rehabilitation and research centre for crocodiles. You can see the efforts taken towards the preservation of crocodiles.
5. Guided trekking – The wildlife sanctuary offers two guided trekking programmes. The one-day trek, which is 6 km long, begins with a boat cruise to Kombai, and then a trek towards Meenmutty Falls through tribal villages and dense forests. The second Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary trekking includes a Kombai boat cruise, and a trek to Meenmutty Falls and Theerthakkara–Puivizhuthan Chuna. After an overnight stay at Meenmutty camp, you trek to the elephant rehabilitation centre, lion safari park and other places.
6. Overnight camping – Apart from the forest rest house at Meenmutty, you also have other places to stay in Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary. There is the youth hostel and rest house at Neyyar, the dormitory at Kombai and the Agasthya House. You can also book your stay in the Inspection Bungalow.
7. Boating – Neyyar Dam and Lake in the sanctuary offers a panoramic view of the wild. And this scenic location is also a popular picnic spot. You can enjoy a peaceful boat ride in the crystal-clear water, with the Western Ghats in the backdrop.
8. Meditating at the yoga ashram – The Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Dhanwantari Ashram, near the sanctuary, has an ideal atmosphere to practice yoga and meditation. The warm and friendly environment helps in developing inner peace and positive thinking. The ashram runs various sessions and courses related to classical yoga techniques.
Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary Timings and Entry Fee
Neyyar Dam and Wildlife Sanctuary is open throughout the year, except on Mondays. So, pick a leisure day and take a trip to the sanctuary. It is open to visitors from 9 AM to 4 PM.
The Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary ticket rate for the safari is ₹250 per person for adults and ₹125 per person for children (5 to 12 years). The fee is only ₹5 for kids below 5 years. And for foreign tourists, it’s ₹300 per person.
If you wish to book overnight camping or guided trekking tour, check the schedule and charges with the office.
Image Gallery of Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary Trivandrum
Best time to visit Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary
Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary in Kerala, like other parts of the state, receives rainfall for most of the year. The frequency, however, decreases during the winter and summer months. And the winter season is the best time to visit it.
During winter, from November to March, the sun rays are mild and the climate is cool. And it facilitates a comfortable trip to the sanctuary. Come here during the morning hours, to see the animals in Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary and explore the surroundings to its fullest.
Time to explore Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary
The jungle safari takes about 2 hours to show you the important places of interest within the sanctuary. Apart from the safari, you can also spend time exploring the wild, playing with the elephant calves or boating in the lake. So, have around 3 hours for this wildlife sanctuary.
From Trivandrum, it’s a one-day trip to Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary and back.
Things to keep in mind while visiting Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary
- Avoid bright-coloured dresses. Wear clothes in green, brown or khaki.
- Stay away from swimming in the lake. It’s home to many crocodiles.
- Wear comfortable and sturdy shoes.
- Take your hat and sunglasses.
- Have sunscreen lotions/creams.
- Carry an umbrella.
- Pack warm clothes for overnight stay.
Places to visit near Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary
1. Neyyar Dam – Neyyar Dam is a part of the wildlife sanctuary, and it is a paradise for nature lovers. It is a dam and a lake which is a popular picnic spot. And it offers boating facilities and opportunities for trekking among the scenic meadows.
2. Vizhinjam Rock Cut Cave – It is an 8th-century rock-cut shrine, about 30 km away from Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary. Vizhinjam Rock Cut Cave is the smallest cave temple in southern India, and the shrine has a sculpture of Vinandhara Dakshinamurthy. On the outer walls are unfinished sculptures of Lord Shiva and Parvathi on either side.
3. Vizhinjam Lighthouse – It is a candy-striped lighthouse in Kovalam, only about 2 km away from the Rock Cut Cave. It is the highest lighthouse in the city offering a spellbinding view of the Arabian Sea and the nearby Kovalam Beach dotted with palm trees and coconut trees. The Vizhinjam Lighthouse is also known as Kovalam Lighthouse.
4. Padmanabhaswamy Temple – Sree Anantha Padmanabhaswamy Temple is a 5000 years old revered Hindu temple in Trivandrum. It is dedicated to Lord Anantha, an avatar of Lord Vishnu. The temple is among the 108 holy temples of Lord Vishnu, and it is the wealthiest temple in the world. In the main shrine, rests the 18-foot idol of Lord Anantha on AdiShesha, in the Ananthasayanam posture. The temple is about 30 km away from the wildlife sanctuary.
5. Kuthiramalika (Puthenmalika) Palace Museum – Kuthiramalika Palace Museum is a two-storied palace made from wood, marble and granite. It was built during the reign of Swathi Thirunal Balarama Varma in the 1840s. Kuthira Malika means 'Mansion of horses' and the museum has 122 horse figures adorning its pillars. The museum houses various idols and sculptures. And you can also see different royal artefacts and jewellery on the display. This place is only a few hundred metres away from Padmanabhaswamy Temple.
How to reach Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary from Trivandrum?
Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary distance from Trivandrum is about 32 km. Trivandrum is one of the important cities in the state and has regular bus services to the sanctuary. But the best way to reach this tourist spot is by booking a cab from top car rental companies in Kerala. You can thus get into the sanctuary and spend your time in the wild without worrying about how you will return.
And here are the different ways to go to Trivandrum –
By road – Trivandrum has good road connectivity with the nearby cities. Daily buses run from Coimbatore, Kochi, Madurai and many other towns. Luxury buses from distant cities like Bangalore and Chennai are also available. The central bus station is about 30 km away from the sanctuary. And you can always hire a cab to take you to the city and its multitude of tourist spots.
By rail – The Trivandrum Central railway station has trains from all over the country. You will find daily trains from the nearby towns and metropolitan cities like Bangalore, Chennai and Delhi. Trivandrum Central is about 30 km from Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary.
By air – Trivandrum International Airport connects the city to various places around the world. Direct flights from domestic airports like Bangalore, Delhi and Kochi arrive at regular intervals. And flights from other places in the world like Singapore, Maldives and Middle East cities are also available. Neyyar Wildlife Sanctuary Kerala is about 34 km away from the airport.
Craving for a perfect holiday experience in Kerala? you can explore our Kerala tour packages that offer a sneak peak into all the popular places to visit in Kerala. We at Kerala Tourism, a division of Holidays DNA, provide the best travel deals at competitive prices. What else do you need? Just pack your bags and get set to go! Please fill out the Contact Us form to reach one of our tour representatives!